Welcome to Yogurt Gazebo, a blog about weird news from around the world...
Weird Fact:

Tablecloths were originally meant to be served as towels with which dinner guests could wipe their hands and faces after eating

Sunday 24 October 2010

On your mark get set... SLEEP!

An unemployed security guard from Ecuador is now $1,000 euros ($1,430) richer and slightly more refreshed after winning the first Siesta Championship.
The contest, organized by the National Association of Friends of the Siesta to promote the national tradition of taking a nap in the afternoon, was held in a busy shopping centre in Madrid reports British paper The Telegraph.
More than three hundred contestants were given 20 minutes to lie down on a sofa in an attempt to sleep the longest during that time. A doctor was on hand to monitor how long they were actually sleeping.
Sixty-two-year-old Pedro Soria Lopez said having a big lunch helped him fall into a deep snooze, which got extra points because he also snored at 70 decibels (the same as someone talking loudly). Contestants were also given extra points for original sleeping positions and choice of napping apparel.

Well, in my opinion, I think it's easier for the "elderly" people to fall asleep than the "younger people". Do you think this competition would be easy?


http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2010/10/24/15811626.html


5 comments:

  1. I think that if you knew that you were in a sleeping contest it might be quite difficult to fall asleep because your mind would be preoccupied with falling asleep, thus making you nervous and causing your mind to race. I find it much more difficult to fall asleep when I know that I must fall asleep quickly. Other times when I know I shouldn't fall asleep, however, it can prove to be quite easy to drift off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Do you know how to remove unwanted posts? I notice that you have another version of this post on your blog... I think you go to 'edit post' and then 'remove post'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wierd!! I think it would be hard to fall asleep like on command. Because if you think about it they kinda are falling asleep on command

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mme.Miles when you want to get to sleep you can't and when you don't want to sleep you do. I think it would make it alot easier if you went to bed at 3 am and woke up at 8am, like my Dad!! Because he naps alot so I think it would make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should be a tv show!! Up next, "How fast can you fall asleep"!!!

    ReplyDelete